As a kid, looking forward to presents under the tree was the best part of Christmas, followed by my mother’s cookies and my grandmother’s cheese crackers. Here are some of my favorites gifts as a kid. What were some of your best presents? Worst?
- Brownie Scout doll – My parents gave this to me when I was a Brownie Scout backi in first or second grade. I specifically wanted the black doll though I don’t really remember why.
- Bobbsey Twins books – My grandparents would send me a new volume from the set for Christmas and my birthday.
- Hershey’s kisses – My grandparents sent us each our own bag of Hershey’s kisses every year, and my mom still does. As a kid it was very decadent to have our own bag of candy, particularly since we weren’t allowed to have candy all that often.
- Magic set – I’m sure my grandfather picked this out. I had great fun with it.
- My own tin of Granny’s cheese crackers. So good, and she carefully placed a pecan on each one.
- Mr. Potato Head, Mrs. Carrot Head, Mr. Cucumber Head
- Bob Dylan’s Blood on the Tracks – I felt so grown up!
- A new Raleigh bicycle, which I left unlocked at the mall…bad ending, of course.
- My grandmother gave me matching curtains and a bedspread with a ballerina print on it. She also had a trash can and light switch painted to match.
- My own Christmas tree – One year I had surgery on my feet over Christmas break, and when I got home, my mom had set up a little tree in my bedroom. I thought that was so amazing!
- My very own shotgun – Okay, I was 21 or so but still.
- Crystal ornament with Bible verse – I wasn’t brought up in the church so this gift from a coworker stunned me.
- Avon rose perfume cream – it was terribly sweet and long lasting
- Clothes that matched my little sisters’ outfits.